Sunday, February 26, 2012

Whimsical

I am sorry for all you people out there that love this word, but I do not. I don't really know what it is, but it just makes me cringe! I feel like every blog I read has to say something about how whimsical they are. I still absolutely LOVE these blogs, but over time this word has begun to bug me more and more. What does whimsical ever mean?! I decided to find out. Here is the definition of whimsical.

Whim-si-cal:
                a) playfully quaint or fanciful, esp. in an appealing and amusing way.
                b) acting or behaving in a capricious manner.

Playfully quaint or fanciful? What does that even mean?! Because the definition of this word is so strange, I decided to look to the Urban Dictionary for help. I found its definition to be a lot more interesting.

Whim-si-cal :A word used to describe a person that has very little muscle, and has an "Underweight" BMI. They are very skinny, walk with a prance because they are so light, and always lose arm wrestling matches. A mix between the words wimpy, skinny, and magical.

I don't know about you, but I feel like this really paints a picture in my mind. Again, I don't hate the people who use this word on a daily basis. I just don't particularly like this word and choose not to use it. Maybe this is because I am not underweight by any means, and I don't walk with a prance. Maybe if I was whimsical in description it would all make sense to me. Unfortunately, I am not so I guess I will never know. Sorry for my rant on whimsical. I promise that I do not hate any person that uses this word! I just thought everyone should know the actual definition, because a lot of people are using it incorrectly. Enjoy your week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment